Thursday, September 3, 2009

Last Start of the Regular Season

First of all, I would like to apologize for not posting the last couple of days. I haven’t been able to take the time and sit at my computer long enough to write.
Last night was my third start since I have been posting on this site and different from the first two, I finally felt like I was getting back on track. Although I didn’t have my best command and best stuff, I was able to work out of a few jams when I needed to. Like I mentioned a couple posts back, there are one or two moments in a game which define that outing. One of those moments came in the third inning when I hit Brett Jackson , walked Flaherty, and again hit Rebel Ridling to load the bases with nobody out. I was able to get the four hitter to fly out to center, which resulted in a sacrifice fly. After that, it seemed as the pressure was off of me and I was able to get out of the inning without any further damage. The sacrifice fly ended up being the only run I surrendered in the outing. The box score says, 5 innings, 2 strikeouts, 1 earned run, and 3 walks.
My command wasn’t the best yesterday, but it wasn’t as bad as the stat sheet says. My game plan was to pitch hard inside all game, so as a result, I hit more people than usual. I also decided to pitch around Flaherty twice, which resulted in two of the walks. I told myself before the game that I wasn’t going to let him hurt me at all. He is one of the best hitters in our league and usually sees the ball pretty well off of me.
I felt like last night was a good outing for me because, I needed to start picking up some steam for the playoffs. It was a real confidence booster to pitch well against the best hitting team in our league right before the playoffs start. Confidence is one of the most important assests a pitcher needs,
The coaching staff has decided to skip over my next start, which is supposed to be on the 7th. Instead I will be pitching the first game of the playoffs, which will probably be against Burlington on the 9th in Burlington.

No comments:

Post a Comment