Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Second One

The name I have given to my site is the most appropriate way to describe minor league baseball. It is a grind. As I sit on the bus on my way back from Beloit, a commuter trip, I think to myself about how much of a grind it is.
First off, we are not allowed to stay in a hotel when we travel to Beloit because it isn’t far enough away from our home city of Geneva, IL. That being said, we have to pack up and travel back and forth every day for the four game series. The bus departs at 2 p.m. every day and we will arrive home at approximately 12 a.m. just in time to get into bed and wake up for the gym at 10 a.m. until noon.
If the travel situation wasn’t hard enough to overcome, our team is also in the midst of overcoming the ‘ups and downs’ of a season. Throughout a full minor league season there are many ‘ups and downs’ to experience in the win/loss column; about as many as Batman the ride at Six Flags. Currently we are trying to come out of the twists and turns to begin our climb back to the top of the rollercoaster.
Basically, I’d say we have not been playing well as a team lately for a couple of reasons. Without a doubt, bodies are tired, people are homesick, and the end date is near. What it comes down to is the grind of minor league baseball is beginning to wear on us. I believe at the stage we are all on right now, learning how to control the grind is one of the most important lessons we must absolve.
Sometimes it seems as if it is too tough to handle, but there is one way too look at it in my eyes. Appreciate the opportunity we have to be grinding it out; because without a doubt, the 26 of us are a group of some of the luckiest people on the earth. We get paid to put our cleats on every day.
I am going to try and keep up with my ‘road roomie’ Shawn and post about once every two days. My next outing is Saturday and I will definitely submit a post after I pitch; good or bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment